Saturday, March 2, 2024

25mm Essex Zombies - Part 1

Nine zombies from Essex's little known (in the US anyway) fantasy range.
 
These are chunky, heavy, leaden models. Proportions are all over the place but I love them anyway. I have all of their zombies but the king!



Little blurry - esp at right where I think I reactivated the purple cloak. Something happened Ia I was getting a bunch of gray on the model when there was none on a wet/drybrush. I can redo it, but I won't.




These are quite old and I'm not sure where I even got them. Once I learned they were part of a much bigger range I bought the subjects of this post and can now merge them into the one big group to which they all belong (see bottom). I had to simplify my current basing preferences to keep them all harmonized.

These seemed a natural fit for some slap chop - just look at those craggy, pittted surfaces!

But, boy I was not loving the final finish on these. Still felt flat and way too dark despite the really bright layers in the undercoat. These will need considerably more highlighting. They also need to blend with the four models of this group already painted.




As to the gore: there are an awful lot of pitted/decayed and unidentifiable pieces of exposed bone and collapsing flesh. I did as much as I dared for what will be dried blood and bruising. But after I seal these in a matte coat, I will go in with the wet blood - the glossy one from Green Stuff World. Those teeth will be the first thing I hit.

Nearing the end here ...

Reunited at last! The gravestone at front left marks that model as unsuitable for medieval/fantasy games, but he has a twin (right front). Still he appears to be wearing a blazer and jeans, so maybe neither technically work. Still it's the volume that counts here.

 Thanks for looking - questions, comments and followers are welcome and encouraged! I'm doing more and more on Facebook so follow my page there too! https://www.facebook.com/One-of-My-Men-Became-Restless-100659928063858

2 comments:

  1. Great work on the Essex figures, they have a large fantasy range and they are not to everyone's taste but I like them, painted up they look really good as your pictures show, they have turned out really well.

    ReplyDelete