Friday, October 27, 2023

Green Stuff World - Leaf Punches


Picked up these beauts recently and had a good time punching up some leaves

Since I'm doing all this New England horror stuff I needed to up my leaf game. Here's a sense of the scale of these next to a Victrix Austrian.

Not wanting to mess with sanitizing real leaves, I picked up a bunch of colored construction paper intended for scrapbooking from Michael's. Surprisingly, they were very tough to punch out - the bigger leaves especially.

That gray is actually a warm tan, and the cream is actually much warmer than it appears here too.

These sheets are a little over a foot square so I just did as many as I could get away with along one side of each sheet. You can't see perfectly how to align the second and third punches but the final passes yielded quite a few broken leaves.

Despite my efforts, the end result is far from voluminous. The original squares are all a bit smaller now as I trimmed off the edges. Many more passes to go!


At left is what I was using - and I'll continue to but as a base, with the cut leaves atop them for definition.

These are the smallest leaf punches that GSW makes and, as you can see, won't work for 15mm. I'm also not crazy about the orange. Before I punch put the next batch, I'll put a thin watery wash on both sides of streaky red and brown. The rest look fine - even the yellow.

I couldn't resist trying these on real leaves and there is far less usable material out there when I started this and many were pretty manky. But they punched extremely easily compared to the paper. i'm going to pretend that mold won;t be a problem - with all the glue and sealant on this stuff I'm deciding to muscle forward.

 Leaves are falling at a great pace today in NOVA, so I reckon I'll start a bounty for the girls - whoever can fill up an empty Cool Whip container first wins!

As always, thanks for looking - questions, comments and followers are welcome and encouraged! I'm doing more and more on Facebook so follow my page there too! https://www.facebook.com/One-of-My-Men-Became-Restless-100659928063858

1 comment:

  1. A great find and application. Thanks for posting your report. Have you used your leaves on tree armatures and if so was it effective?

    ReplyDelete