Tuesday, November 15, 2022

28mm Oathmark - Orc Archers - SlapChop!

Another unit completed via the Slapchop method! This is exactly the thing I needed to jump start my perennially flagging productivity. Soon I'll be using it for select historicals too. It's really just a variation on the contrast/speed paints method and makes the dark areas of the model even darker, by starting with black and laying the foundation for highlights by brushing up to white or off-white.

This one is a slight improvement over the Folk Rabble as I made sure the faces were a lot lighter before applying the colors over them. I was hoping for a black green and this came out more evenly a dark green. My final dry-brush with Vallejo Silver Gray gave it a slight suggestion of blue. The rest I think will rely more on olive greens instead. 

First it's an all over dry-brush of a very light tan

Subtle, but a zenithal layer of white brings up the highlights for the next stage - keeping the part in the light bright while leaving deep shadows underneath

Skin, gear and leather bits done by now - halfway done selecting the tunic colors, sticking to earth tones except for the horned-helmed leader for whom I picked yellow - hoping for an ochre.

All the details completed and starting the bases.

I love the idea of them just having ordinary brown hair - a detail I picked up from the Jackson LOTR films. I would have gone for black otherwise.




Most of the metal bits I did in metallics - but not the chainmail. That's all the tan/white with Basilicanum Gray over it.

The commander




Again - no metallics here on the chain







Ok, I didn't paint the tongues.



I enjoyed building and painting these guys - 20 more in the Orc box, and all the heroes and command as well as all of the goblin saves are due any day and will be treated similarly.

Are you slap chopping? 

As always, thanks for looking - questions, comments and followers are welcome and encouraged! I'm doing more and more on Facebook so follow my page there too! https://www.facebook.com/One-of-My-Men-Became-Restless-100659928063858

No comments:

Post a Comment