Friday, June 21, 2019

25mm Old Glory Minute Men - Part 4


So this is the fourth of six units of ten figures each for this Colonial Horror/Sleepy Hollow thing. Color schemes already posted here include Black & Tans, Blue, & Brown and Tan. The force needed some bright color so I went with red this time around. Note there are three different shades of red here - militias and civilians are always trial minutes as I work out paint recipes for this and that.
    
These are not for fighting the British but for Headless Horsemen, pumpkin monsters and animated scarecrows. There's no real rationale for the the red coats other than pure fantasy and variety. You'll note the re-appaerance of a West Wind Sleepy Hollow Militiaman at front left. The Old Glory figures will have the lowest stats possible, the eight West Wind militiamen (also seen elsewhere here) will be better leaving Ichabod and others as the heroic leads. So many rules to choose from I'll also have plenty of figures to choose from as well. 
Could I use them for Loyalist militias if I ever went straight? I don't think so as British loyalist militia as I understand it were mostly uniformed so none of these quite fit. What is sculpted here looks like exclusively civilian wear. As for the two remaining units, one will be in dark greens and the last in grays I think. Furthermore, they'll be based with a 3 figure base, two 2s and three individually based - one being the officer.
A shot with the flash on - they do look like they are responding to a bright spell effect of some kind - the hurled pumpkin head of a Hessian apparition?

Previous groupings already have these identical miniatures in them. I'll do a side by side comparison shortly. I didn't care much for the bereted guy's long face the first time around and I didn't this time either.  The figure at front right strikes me now as an armed James Madison - hoping I have another one as I'll paint him that way if I do.


Definitely old school sculpts

The light grass is a bit bright here as there's still the white glue showing through underneath. These are also unvarnished which will help smooth out things once completed.

Tufts are Army Painter "Highland" tufts

The captain - I can always mix all these units up at the end distributing the reds throughout the other units to fine effect.

Again I aimed for a sort of a-historical but not impossible look - wrong color musket straps, wrong color ammo box strap, etc.

There's a few that have pretty good faces.

This head is weird with the mustache - he must be a German or an aspiring grenadier, a veteran grenadier maybe.
 Thanks all for looking and as always, questions, comments and followers are welcome!

1 comment: