Monday, March 26, 2018

15mm Old Glory ACW Ulysses S. Grant

Can't seem to get a good shot on this one, but you get the idea. I really pay attention to composition and try to make the scene make sense, tell a story, but with two caveats: no part of the miniature may extend over the base, and two, the piece must look good (un-pictured) from a 360 degree perspective.
Grant had a cigar in that upraised right hand, but it snapped off mid way through the process and was too fiddly to replace.
This is closer to how it appears to me, but that light hits it pretty starkly.
Now I have a Union high command piece to go with the General Lee I did a bit back: http://flashman14.blogspot.com/2014/05/15mm-old-glory-confederate-robert-e-lee.html

On deck is McClellan and then Meade at this high level of army command and then I go down a level. Each lower level of command gets a smaller base and less accompanying figures so they should be easier to finish as we go.  Since Lee was the only peerless field commander, all the other Confederates are on smaller bases.

I do love these Old Glory figures, but I am often reminded that they are very impressionistic - often details suggest something and are kind of blobby. Somehow it all works, but I'm often left wondering what the hell something is on many figures. Sometimes it's weird artifacts from the casting process and at other times it appears intentional, but to my mind remains a mystery.

I will be trimming down some of these sabre-length bayonets in future.

Thanks for looking - questions, comments and followers are welcomed and encouraged.

6 comments:

  1. Fantastic figures and painting. Hard to believe that they are 15mm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! They are fun to do despite the oddities that I find on OG figures. And matching these personalities to appropriate horses was quite an adventure in and of itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love this one, painting and basing, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job. I know what you mean about the oddities on OG15s figures. I have the AB versions of Grant, Sherman, McClellan and Meade as my Corps commander figures (https://jabbaswargaming.blogspot.co.uk/2018/03/1518mm-american-civil-war-update-3.html) my other mounted figures are Blue Moon I think, bought second hand.

    Tony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are great Tony - nice looking force over all!

      Delete