Saturday, October 5, 2019

25mm West Wind - Gothic Horror - Vampire Wars - Werewolves

My Citadel Contrast paint experiment moved from ethereal creatures to the many wolfy miniatures I own. You saw the "European Timber Wolves", here are the Werewolves from the original West Wind,Vampire Wars line. For Empire of the Dead, West Wind brought out entirely new figures for this horror subgenre (those are coming soon).

Apart from the mouths and bases, I used exclusively Contrast paints. (L-R, Gore-grunta Fur, Wyldwood, Wyldwood, Snakebite Leather). Unlike a lot of models I've done with mostly Contrast Templar Black, I did go back here and dry brush with Wraithbone again over the whole model - the same color with which they were undercoated.

Pants on the end werewolves are Contrast Templar Black, belts in Wyldwood. Middle pants are Aggaros Dunes, with the belt in Wyldwood.
Some early WIP - I had to mark the bases with the color I used so I wouldn't forget S-Snakebite, G-Gore-grunta. Wolves of course are never blond and red like these, so I'm gonna claim, "it's fantasy - their fur would match that of the human who was accursed with the lycanthropy." Seems reasonable -, but also because I wanted to try these browns out on stuff.
 



Though brown can be found on wolves, it seems they are mostly grays and blacks and light tans and white. Nonetheless, I needed some way to differentiate these decidedly lesser "wolves" from the bigger, leader types. Wyldwood is the best of these alternative colors in my view.
These are before I went back and drybrushed over them with Wraithbone.



For the wolves on all fours I went with the red eyes, but here for these bipedal ones, I went with the more popular yellow. Not much to work with on these guys - in fact this one;'s left eye isn't even sculpted - a mot uncommon occurrence in these early sculpts.

I also found I had to touch up considerably the Templar Black on the smooth surfaces of the pants with more Wraithbone. i actually tried misixing the two together to see if i couln;t arrive at a middle color and it came out too strange to be workable: super thin and watery, and not quite the right color. so i did what I could with the final portrays revealing where I ended up.






The flash took a split second too long to kick in here, but I love the effect of this darker shot.

Fo minimal effort, I think these came out quite well. If I had to layer them, they'd still clustered in the wolf bin.
My favorite of this lot.

 If the quadrupedal wolves comprise the lower ranks, these are one step above in tabletop value, whatever that may be. Easily suitable for the game for which they were created (GH:VW) as well as EotD, CiC, the FFoL horror variant, or whatever else covers this horror subgenre.
Thanks all for looking - questions, comments, followers are welcome and encouraged!

4 comments: