Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Hypothesis: white glue can work as a small seam filler?

Putting together the Citadel Woods sets (I have two), I knew seams were going to be an issue. They were initially glued with Testor's model cement: good and sturdy.

After that had dried I took a first stab at filling the unsightliest ones by filling in with ZapAGap. I do like the control of a flowing gel and it seemed to work as I applied it but then in shrunk away in a lot of cases leaving these gaps behind.



My experience in modeling all these years says I needed something more substantive in the crevasses so I added my usual sculpting putty and this did indeed fill them but left the expected surplus material around. Plus with my spreading tools, it was difficult to both get in and apply it as well as clean up the dried excess with my file. If this was something more regular like a plane or building I would stick with it, but the nooks and crannies of a knotty tree surface was making this whole process a headache.

I took the temperature on TMP and there was near unanimous agreement that PVA would also shrink away and that a paste, or spackle filler was required here. Having gone down that route I was not looking forward to continuing on as I had. So I figured I'd follow a hunch and try the white glue anyway. It's easy to apply, I coaxed it around with a toothpick; it dries hard and clear, and may yet have enough body to server as intended. And if worst comes to worst, I'll have at least made the deepest of these blights at least somewhat shallower for the next step.

So hero we go - I'm going to let this dry and will report back later with the results.





Thanks for looking - stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment