Sunday, August 5, 2018

28mm Goblin Factory, Heavy Armored Goblins

I had done up the command for these back in 2011 and luckily taken good notes on the colors and mixing recipes I had used, so I was able to finish the warband so that they fit in seamlessly.

A few years before, I was lucky enough to have befriended Don, the proprietor, at some HMGS con and was able to get basically "one of each" rather than any specific pack and thus I have exactly 39 figures in Heavy Armor seen below with no duplicates. (In retrospect, I suppose I should have taken one more .) Over the intervening years Don released more goblin forces, both "Lightly armored" and "Unarmored", as well as similarly equipped units of goblin cavalry on wolves. Each time I was able to pick up "one of each" of whatever was new giving me a tremendous variety of models.

But being an active duty serviceman, I believe Don's deployments and other issues prevented the Goblin Factory from fully prospering and I note that only small portions of the line remain available at Slave2gaming.com. I consider myself quite lucky to have collected nearly all of what I'd ever need and am grateful that I posses perhaps the finest range of goblins ever made, with almost 200 one of a kind models. They are ol' fashioned in that they are not encumbered with tons of flashy details, yet they have extraordinary character, animation and variety. They look hungry, grovely, with gibbering and hooting faces, but also very dangerous. Hats off to designer Mike Broadbent!

I do need a break from goblins for awhile so will finish up the army command, which to the best of my knowledge is totally unavailable today, then call it quits for a bit here.

I'm also certain there are many figures below that are no longer available, so enjoy!


The Command again

The archers


The Pole-Axe

Axe and shield

Two-Handed Axe  (those horns bug me - both in their sculpting and in my painting. I may go back in and add some more transition in there.)

The goblin in the middle has hair! The only one!

The halberds

I made a point of rusting up the armor on every model though I mostly left the chain mail alone.

Swords and boards: I "sharpened" all the blades by running Mithril Silver over the top most edges.

Shield details


All have glowy eyes


More bronze shields. I tried mixing in dark brown in with the gold for the base coat to mixed effect.

The only goblin wearing gloves is the one at right.
Thanks for looking: questions, comments and followers are welcome and encouraged!

3 comments: